THE CLARA SPERLING MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The Clara Sperling Scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Miss Clara Sperling who served as secretary to three NIU presidents, including 19 years to Leslie Holmes.
The Division of International Programs, through its Study Abroad Office, established the Clara Sperling Scholarship Fund. This award assists NIU students participating in an approved NIU Administered (faculty directed) study abroad program during the summer. Scholarships are available based on donations received annually to support this scholarship. Scholarships may not be available every summer.
Summer 2019 – Two $500 scholarships available
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS
The selection of a recipient will be competitive and based on the application criteria.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15, 2019
Applicants must submit the following by the above-mentioned deadlines:
1) NIU Study Abroad Application: Applicants must have completed an application to participate in an NIU Administered summer study abroad program.
2) Clara Sperling Online Scholarship Application: Applicants must have completed the online application before midnight on April 15, 2018.
3) Recommendation: One faculty recommendation.
Complete the online application and follow the instructions to request a faculty recommendation to be submitted online.
Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted. Students will be notified within three weeks of the application deadline whether they have been selected to receive a scholarship.
This scholarship is available to NIU students only. Applicants must meet program following eligibility requirements in order to qualify for the scholarship:
1. Acceptance into an NIU Administered summer study abroad program. The program must be directed by an NIU faculty member.
2. Junior or senior standing at the time of study abroad program application.
3. Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
4. Academic accomplishments and study abroad application will be reviewed.
5. Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of study abroad program application.
6. Students who transfer to Northern Illinois University must have successfully completed and received grades for at least one full semester at NIU before they are eligible to participate in a study abroad program or apply for this scholarship.
7. Students must be enrolled full-time while participating in an NIU Administered summer study abroad program.
8. Encumbrances placed on a student’s records by NIU; e.g., by Undergraduate Admissions, Bursar’s Office, Accounts Receivable, Registration and Records, Health Services, Parking Services, NIU Libraries, etc., must be cleared before a student can be granted admission to any study abroad program and be eligible for this scholarship.
9. A student may receive this scholarship only once.