John and Lili LaTourette International Studies Scholarship
In an effort to make study abroad opportunities available to qualified NIU students, each year Northern Illinois University offers the John E. and Lili LaTourette International Studies Scholarships for Northern Illinois University students interested in study abroad.
John and Lili La Tourette spent 40 years in higher education, and nearly 15 years at the helm of the presidency of Northern Illinois University. John LaTourette was NIU’s tenth president. He believed in international education and considered study abroad a cornerstone in the pursuit of a Northern Illinois University degree that prepares students for careers in a global economy.
One Fall 2017 Award of approximately $600
One Spring 2018 Award of approximately $600
Complete the attached application form and submit the application and essay to the Director of the NIU Study Abroad Office. The faculty recommendation should be sent to the attention of the Study Abroad Director, Williston Hall 417.
SELECTION OF RECIPIENTS
The selection of a recipient will be competitive and based on the application criteria.
July 1, 2017 for fall or academic year programs
November 15, 2017 for spring programs
Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted. Students will be notified within three weeks of the application deadline whether they have been selected to receive a scholarship.
Applicants must submit the following by the above-mentioned deadlines:
- NIU Study Abroad Application: Applicants must have completed an application to participate in an NIU semester or academic year program offered by an approved provider.
- Essay: Applicants must submit a two-page, typed essay stating the specific relationship between the study abroad program to their academic program at NIU. (This essay is in addition to the essay required for the study abroad program application.)
- Recommendation: One faculty recommendation.
This scholarship is available to NIU students only. Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to qualify for the scholarship:
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION ESSAY GUIDELINES
- Acceptance into an NIU Cosponsored spring study abroad program. The program must be offered by an NIU approved study abroad provider.
- Junior or senior standing at the time of study abroad program application.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Academic accomplishments and study abroad application will be reviewed.
- Students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing at the time of study abroad program application.
- Students who transfer to Northern Illinois University must have successfully completed and received grades for at least one full semester at NIU before they are eligible to participate in a study abroad program or apply for this scholarship.
- Students must be enrolled in a Cosponsored spring study abroad program.
- Encumbrances placed on a student’s records by Undergraduate Admissions, the Bursar’s Office, Accounts Receivable, Registration and Records, Office of Student Conduct, Health Services, Parking Services, NIU Libraries, etc., must be cleared before a student can be granted admission to any study abroad program and be eligible for this scholarship.
- A student may receive this scholarship only once.
It is important that the following are adhered to when writing the required essay:
1. Emphasize the ways in which the scholarship is the best opportunity to further your personal and professional goals. You need to be able to effectively include the scholarship into your life plans, showing that it builds upon past experiences and will contribute to further achievements.
2. State your motivations for pursuing this study abroad program.
3. Emphasize your qualifications for the scholarship. Bring into focus those qualifications which are not immediately evident from an academic transcript. In identifying these aspects of your non-academic career and qualifications, also remember to explain how these distinctive achievements have prepared you to take advantage of the scholarship.
TIPS FOR AN EFFECTIVE ESSAY
• To effectively write an application essay you should start early so it does not become a last-minute rush to meet the stated deadline. The time and effort spent will be most valuable as you will begin to clarify your goals and gain confidence in your ability to attain them.
• Revise your essay often. Have others critique your work (advisor, professor, parents).
• CHECK GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. Correct grammar and spelling will be taken into consideration.
• The essay must be typed.